Monday, October 22, 2007

‘Politicians talk about their futures – I don’t have a future’ - Health News - News - icWales

‘Politicians talk about their futures – I don’t have a future’ - Health News - News - icWales


Politicans talk about futures

by Madeleine Brindley, Western Mail

STEWART RANKIN, 57, from Rogerstone in Gwent, is one of two people in Wales and more than 100 in the UK waiting for a new heart. He has recently been re-prioritised by his doctors as an urgent case for transplantation, but his chances of a new heart depend not only on a donor organ becoming available, but one which matches his own combination of antibodies.

“Politicians talk about their futures – I don’t have a future; my wife, my family and I discuss my funeral and what I want. I’d like to be able, like First Minister Rhodri Morgan, to discuss my future with my grandchildren while being a father and a husband. But my family gets to talk about my funeral.
“I know that even if an opt-out system is implemented it will be too late for me – my doctors have said that I am now an urgent case and must be done as soon as possible, although I have some interesting requirements, which make me a difficult case.

No comments: